The Society was formed during the first National meeting of the soil surveyors and land use planners held in 1986 at the National Bureau of Soil Survey & Land Use Planning, Nagpur, in response to a long-felt need to create a platform where various research and educational issues in soil survey and land use planning could be addressed. The following is the list of persons who served as Presidents and Secretaries during different terms (of office) beginning 1986.
- To stimulate research and to collect, collate and disseminate information relating to all aspects of soil survey, pedology and land use planning
- To sponsor and organize symposia, seminars and conferences which provide forum for presentation of papers in all areas of soil survey, pedology and land use planning.
- To publish journal, bulletins, reports and other publications to achieve the objectives of the Society.
- To present a common forum for scientists working in soil survey, pedology and land use planning where they can discuss topics of mutual interest.
- To enhance the education and teaching standards in soil survey, pedology and land use planning.
- To work in association with other national and international societies having similar objectives.
- To undertake all other activities that may assist in the fulfillment of the above objectives of the Society.